Most wedding speeches are only listened to by the guests present. They are not instantly relayed to the world. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are media savvy and unlikely to allow any speakers at their wedding to emulate the Best Man at the last , almost Royal wedding.
One newspaper reported ‘toe-curling ten minute address made several close-to-the knuckle references including likening Pippa to a dog’, He ignored these rules
- Do not embarrass anyone, particularly the couple, don’t wash dirty linen in public
- Tell stories not jokes, particularly off the internet. Sound false and can fall flat
- Don’t go on too long, temptation to hog stage.3 to 7 minutes enough for most
- Don’t just talk to your peer group. Grannies will not ‘get’ your in-jokes
- Check your speech with the real heroes of the day, the couple. Don’t be the hero.
- Think about what your audience want to hear, not what you want to say.
For more wedding speech wisdom check my book Unaccustomed As I Am… The Wedding Speech Made Easy in bookshops and on Amazon